Fabio Catalano, has obtained a degree of “Perito agrario” at the “Istituto tecnico per l’agricoltura” in Alberobello (BA), in 1990.
In 1990 has obtained a fellowship at the Institute of Agricultural Nematology Applied to Plant CNR of Bari under the supervision of Dr. Mauro Di Vito, carrying out the following research topic: “Reactions of clones, varieties and species of plants the attacks of nematodes. ”
In 1994 has obtained a temporary contract as technician, at the Institute for Plant Protection-CNR Bari collaborating with Dr. Mauro Di Vito to the performance of the research topic: “Innovative techniques in diagnostics and pest management.”
In 1998 he got the permanent job as technician at the Institute for Plant Protection-CNR Bari. Still operates at the Institute for Sustainable Plant Protection (IPSP), CNR, Bari, where he collaborated with the research carried out by Dr. Nicola Sasanelli.
He has collaborated with dr. Mauro Di Vito and with dr. Nicola Sasanelli to the following research areas:
- Assessment of the pathogenicity of root-knot nematodes on several plant species;
- Finding sources of genetic resistance to nematodes in plants;
- Studies on the biology of some plant parasitic nematodes;
- Determination of physiological races of Meloidogyne spp.
In addition, he learned the basic techniques of nematology to:
- setting up and conducting experiments in laboratory, greenhouse and open field;
- extraction of plant parasitic nematodes both from land to plant organs;
- nematodes evaluation and counting for the determination of population density;
- preparation of slides for optical microscope observation ;
- pathogenicity tests and determination of damage threshold of nematodes on plants, both in open field and in a controlled environment.
The research carried out so far, has been the subject of publications in national and international journals.